As a SaaS CEO/CIO, how do you know when it’s time to hire your CISO?
The CIO role is focused on strategic IT oversight and business initiatives whereas the CISO role is focused on the cybersecurity program at a more technical level.
With this in mind, we can see that the cybersecurity program is a key differentiator between the roles. So, when you are thinking about starting your cybersecurity program you should be thinking about hiring your CISO.
So when should you be thinking of starting your cybersecurity program?
Many SaaS startups only think about their cybersecurity program once their in the growth phase and clients begin asking for assurances of how they run their business and protect their data. Undergoing a SOC 2 audit without a standing cybersecurity program and dedicated internal security staff is a painful, lengthy and costly undertaking.
Hiring your CISO during the startup or early growth phase gives you a considerable advantage.
- You’ll save time and money integrating security into the organization now rather than later
- You’ll save time and money integrating security into your products now rather than later
- You’ll save time and money preparing for external audits
- You’ll be able to better protect your business from cyber risks
- You can use security as a differentiator in your market
- You can more easily build security into your corporate culture
- You can more easily distribute responsibilities and build in-house capabilities
Need help getting started? No problem, that’s what I’m here for. Contact me and we’ll talk about what strategy makes the most sense for your organization. Whether you hire me or not I’ll give you solid advice and actionable recommendations. Charlene@fismacs.com
Charlene Deaver-Vazquez -Helping new CIO/CISO measure, manage and communicate risk. Schedule a quick chat https://www.fismacs.com/contact